Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Big Announcement...

When I started to photograph firefighters and training burns, I never thought it would lead to anything other than a fun hobby; something to do on the weekends. I have been writing on blogs for the better part of 8 years with some success and always dreamed it might take me somewhere.

Well this blogger, writer, photographer is taking his talents to a somewhat different level. After years of writing for me for self amusement I have landed a gig as a staff writer/photographer for a growing publication Fire Photographer Magazine. It is the perfect opportunity for me to combine two huge passions of mine; writing and fire photography.

Chris Kimball, the publisher reached out to me Wednesday morning and explained the opportunity. It is a gig that can grow into something bigger than just writing and photographing fires; it could be a career. This is not meant to be a full-time 40+ hour a week thing, at least right now; it could be. Like everything in this world, nothing great comes easy and right now we need to fill the virtual pages of Fire Photography Magazine with great content, photos, and videos. The advertisers will come if we give them something to come to. I am totally humbled that Chris and Tara, the editor, have faith in me to help them take their magazine to the next level.

This just gives me more motivation to get better at doing what I love doing. Get out there, find stories and tell them in a compelling manner. It's time to put on my big boy pants and get this thing done.

Don't worry, I will still be sharing and writing here, I could never let this go. Not everything I see or choose to write about will be right for the magazine. I need to get those ideas out of my head so they will go here. This will also be a place where I might try out a story or develop ideas for stories too.

This new opportunity feels like home to me and I am glad you are here for the journey with me.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!!!! How awesome. Super excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Totally stoked. You might see me at fires near you. LOL

      Delete
  2. Awesome news! Really excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited, not my the opportunity, but by the possibilities of said opportunity! Thanks Christa.

      Delete
  3. Many congratulations. This should prove to be a very rewarding opportunity. Any time you can marry your interests and skills is a great moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true. Career happiness is doing what you love and making a living at it. Taking that first step in the direction of your dreams tends to be the hardest. Thanks for the kind words Rich!

      Delete