Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A picture in words

It is 6:30am. I have been awake for an hour and I have been staring at the blinking cursor on the screen. I have had my self-rationed 2 cups of coffee already and contemplating breaking my 2 cup rule. I have gone over and over what I have wanted to write several times in my head. It is right there, right about to come out, and then I lose it. Perhaps I am trying too hard, but perhaps the thoughts I do have just aren't done cooking.

Maybe my mind doesn't want to face the reality that not only our country is about to go over the proverbial fiscal cliff, but so is the family if I cannot get employed and fast. As this roller coaster gets close to the top of the hill, I am not scared. I find a great peace in accepting a fate I have no control over at this point. All I can do is continue to put my hat in the ring of several career paths in hopes that someone will bite. I have a feeling something may break loose; although I have been saying that for months now. 

An extraordinary group of people have started to advocate for me in a few places I never thought to explore before. Not because I asked, but because they offered. They understand that your worth is not the contents of a resume or a punch card of accomplishments. It is the ability to adapt, learn, and teach. Life isn't about what you accomplish, it is about what you leave behind. I have met a lot of rich people who have accomplished a lot and leave behind only money for their next generations. Money does nothing for anyone unless they understand how to use it to their advantage. Like a regular guy winning the lottery, it is easy to go bankrupt and then what did you leave behind?

This summer I have learned more about myself than I can possibly imagine. I learned how humble I must become and how much pride swallowing I had to do when all of a sudden I found myself without a job. I learned that my worth to my wife goes beyond the amount of money I put into the bank. I also learned that I am a terrible housekeeper (this shouldn't be a surprise). But in the end I learned that despite all the bullshit my wife and family has had to endure, we still love one another and would rather go through this all together than apart. 

Life has a funny way of teaching you what is important. I took what I had for granted. This summer, fall, and winter have taught me a lot about myself and even more about my family and friends. We are resilient, we love each other, and no matter what we are in it together and couldn't be happier. 

Here's to a new career and the start of a legacy. 

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post.. you will perserver and lesser people/couples would have crumbled by now. You both have a lot to be proud of. Glad to be your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very glad to have you as a friend too Laura. I am proud of all that we have gone through and hoping we come out the other side soon and in tact.

      Delete
  2. Like I've always said....everything happens for a reason. As it is happening we are perplexed and ask why. It is eventually revealed to us and we are grateful for it happening. Stay strong and know that God is with you. He won't give you anymore than you can handle....but from I experience I know He really pushes the envelope!!!! You all will come out better on the other side of the "reformation".

    ReplyDelete